Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh what a week(end)

Ahh, so the grip of the Summer Heat Wench has put a stranglehold on riding in the northeast for a few days.

A group trail ride last saturday in the 95 degree heat ended up with a near case of heat illness and a miserable ride. 6.5 miles, all of it absolute suffering.

Sunday night the heat broke, post thunder shower, and we headed out for an 18 mile road spin to reclaim the legs I lost on Saturday. It was really a great feeling, riding on wet roads, up wet switchbacks, with tire spray to cool you off. I could really get used to that.

So, nothing happens until last night. I planned for a longer more mellow ride, but since I got a late start, I ran a 10.5 mile loop that I'll use again in about a month to see where my progress is. 17.8 miles per hour average speed was my reward for keeping the legs on boil the whole way (except for the idiot woman who ALMOST hit me, causing me to come to a dead stop) and a lack of any kind of stiffness or fatigue is my reward today.

This weekend looks like it's going to be nice, so maybe I'll put the climbing legs to the test and see how much pain I can really take. 25 miles (give or take) and around 3,000 vertical feet. Should be fun.

No comments: